Inclement Weather (Snow) Information
At times, school operating hours or school bus transportation services may be adjusted or canceled due to bad weather. If inclement weather—like snow or ice—makes a school schedule change necessary, the decision will be made by the Superintendent and communicated by phone and email to families and staff by 5:30 a.m.:
- Call/email/text to all families
- Families can update contact information (phone/email) through Skyward Family Access
- Renton School District website and all school websites
If there is no change to the school day, and schools are operating on regular schedule, we will not call/email families or staff.
We will not automatically use in-home learning if we must close a school/s due to inclement weather. If weather and wind cause a school closure, its likely many homes are also without power and internet accessibility. We will make determinations on school closures and in-home learning based on specific weather and power availability.
Be sure your contact information is correct
Families and staff should ensure the school and district has their most current contact information in order to receive the call/email/text. Also, please remember that schools have limited phone lines and staff to answer phone calls: please reserve calls to your student's school for those that are most urgent.
Renton School District staff:
Late start days count as “student days” and therefore are work days for 180 day employees. In the event of a 2-hour late-start:
- Certificated staff should arrive as close to your normal start time as possible, as safe as possible, and no later than 30 minutes before the rescheduled student start time.
- Classified staff members should refer to their CBAs for guidance on workday expectations on late start days:
- Section 2.2 (Page 10) of the RPTA CBA
- Section 18.104.22.168 (page 20) of the RESP CBA
- Section 2.6 (pages 15-16) of the SEIU CBA
- Sections 7.7 (page 14) of the AFT CBA
If you are unable to make it to work due to road conditions, let your supervisor know and then take appropriate leave per your contract.